The Australian police have said two separate incidents of grave sites being disturbed in Australia’s Footscray, an inner-western suburb of Melbourne, were recorded with the suspects yet to be identified.
According to CNN, the police have appealed to the public for information about the theft of human remains from cemeteries, and which they suspect were linked to a “satanic ritual.”
The police said the first theft took place at the Geelong Road cemetery sometime between 7:30p.m. on January 27 and 6:15 a.m. on January 28.
It added that the second incident was said to have taken place between 6:00pm on January 31, and 10:00am on February 1.
Victoria Police said in a statement that officers found the plaque and plasterboard inside a mausoleum had been removed and partial human remains had also been stolen.
Police believe that unknown offenders broke into a mausoleum before stealing partial human remains where two human heads were stolen. It is not clear if the two incidents are linked.
However, criminologist Xanthe Mallett said she’d never observed such activity in Australia before.
“It is interesting some of the symbols that have been left around these mausoleums appear to be satanic in nature. I have seen that in the UK, but I have never seen any satanic cult activity in Australia.”